Friday, July 8, 2011

Time Flies


I have been so busy soaking up everything that Milan has to offer that I haven't had the chance to update in a few days!

On Tuesday (July 5th) morning we ventured over to an Italian street market to buy supplies for a dinner that we cooked later that night at the dorm. The market was full of wonderful smells, beautiful looking food, and many vendors shouting to be louder than the one next to them. I purchased 4 tomatoes from a vendor who didnt speak any English so the transaction was done completely by hand gestures.

After the market we met at our school University Milano and traveled as a group to our first excursion. We traveled to the outskirts of the city to visit a 12th century abbey to tour the church inside and visit the gift shop that featured beer and organic soap made by the monks there. The church itself was absoutely breathtaking in the sense that it had been built over 300 years before Columbus even sailed to North America. There were aged frescoe paintings on the pillars and walls inside the church and ornataley carved seating for the monks during mass. The church is fairly simple when you compare it to the massive Duomo, but it gives off a very welcoming and calming silence that allowed me to actually sit back and breathe for this first time since I had arrived.


detailed frescoe paintings on the cieling

Carved chairs

The Virgin Mary with Child on Throne- This painting sits at the top of the staircase that leads to the ancient monk dormitory. Every night the monks would say goodnight to Mary and Jesus before heading off to sleep.

On Wednesday we went to our lecture in the morning and were then free the rest of the afternoon. My roommate and I rested up because later that night the entire group went out to celebrate one of the member's birthday. Seeing the Milan night life from the inside was amazing. The club was spectacular with many different dance floors and beautiful lights. Needless to say we were all pretty tired the next day. I enjoyed a quiet dinner at a cafe up the street from our dorm-my first spaghetti dinner it Italy! It was delicious and not to mention inexpensive (but my grandma's will always be my favorite!) I am still getting used to the fact that water isn't free here as it is always served in a bottle. After dinner I came back and went to bed early to catch up on some much needed sleep.

Tomorrow morning I am headed off to Lake Cuomo, which is about an hour train ride from here. Hopefully the stars are aligned and I run into George Clooney!!

Ciao!




No comments:

Post a Comment